
(IMAGN) Mexican National Guard troops keep guard near the border wall near an area where U.S. troops worked on infrastructure in Tijuana, Mexico on March 4, 2025.
San Diego, California – A dramatic decline in illegal border crossings near San Diego has led to a shift in both federal enforcement strategies and humanitarian aid efforts, officials and advocates say.
According to Jeffrey Stalnaker, acting chief patrol agent of the San Diego sector, the number of daily arrests of illegal migrants has plummeted from over 1,200 at its peak last April to just 30 to 40 per day. Speaking to the Los Angeles Timeson Sunday, Stalnaker described the change as nothing short of dramatic.
“To say there has been a dramatic change would be an understatement,” Stalnaker said. He attributed the decline to a series of federal actions, including increased military presence and border reinforcements implemented since President Donald Trump’s inauguration in January.
“What we see behind us here today is the result of a true whole-of-government effort, from the Marines laying down miles of concertina wire along the border infrastructure, to the soldiers manning our scope trucks and remote video surveillance cameras,” he said.
The sharp decrease in illegal crossings has had ripple effects beyond law enforcement. Humanitarian organizations that previously provided direct aid to migrants at the border have also noticed the shift.
The American Friends Service Committee, a group that provides food and shelter for migrants, reported going more than a month without encountering individuals in need of aid. The organization ultimately dismantled three canopies that once provided emergency supplies.
Other groups, including the Immigrant Defenders Law Center and Al Otro Lado, have also adjusted their efforts. Instead of providing direct relief at the border, they are now focusing on legal assistance for detained migrants.
Earlier this month, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced the closure of a migrant processing facility near San Diego due to the steep decline in apprehensions. The facility, which opened in January 2023 with a capacity of 500 people, is no longer needed, officials said.
Border Patrol sources told Fox News Digital on Friday that San Diego has seen a staggering 95% reduction in illegal crossings. On Thursday, only 36 apprehensions were reported in the area—compared to 908 on the same day last year.
While officials tout the decrease as a sign of strengthened border security, it remains to be seen how long the trend will continue and what impact it may have on broader immigration policy.